Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First "Marathon Prep" Run

I put off my "official" marathon training start for a few days because a) I'm starting with a pretty good base and some good recent races, but more importantly b) I was on vacation on Nantucket. I did run there, but it was a slow, short (only 4 miles) run. I did see more paths I'd like to run on though, so next time I'll do more and hopefully bring my bike too!
Today I wanted to see if I could run 6 miles at my recent 10K pace, which was 8:21. It's usually easier to run a bit faster in races, for me anyway. I did a half mile warm-up and then got started. I did the first 3 miles without stopping but started to get really hot and thirsty so the last 3 miles had brief water breaks in between. Still, I think I did pretty well!
Mile 1: 8:18
Mile 2: 8:14
Mile 3: 8:06
Mile 4: 7:39 (whoa!)
Mile 5: 7:55
Mile 6: 7:31

I never really pay attention to negative splitting (because I rarely time myself anymore!) but with the exception of mile 5, it looks like I did so here. I thought Mile 4 was kind of funny because I miscalculated at that point and thought I'd run it in 8:40 so I was disappointed with myself. 

I was definitely tired after this, and really felt that last mile in my legs but overall I felt really good! 

For the rest of this week, I have track practice on Thursday morning, a hilly run planned after work Thursday, and then 12 miles planned with the running buddies on Saturday!


No comments: